Jorge Lorenzo "My perfectionism sometimes hurts"

13/09/2015

« Older   Newer »

1. Lauraa-x

User deleted

After two years at the sports and media shadow of Marc Márquez, Jorge Lorenzo has risen from the ashes more forces to once again become MotoGP World Champion. The Mallorcan rider, tanning in life, never lost confidence.

Sweltering heat of a summer afternoon in Milan. The heat wave smothering half of Europe not let up in the workshop of Giuseppe Pettinari, unobtrusive office repair bikes with 50 years of history. It is the humble point of meeting with Jorge Lorenzo, "A EMANATIONS environment", as suggested by the Photographer Stefano Triulzi for pilots il session. Spanners, tires, winches, motors, cylinders, radiators, a standing fan blowing out of steam, the camera and himself. A half hour of his apartment in Lugano (Switzerland), the sanctuary where he retired to live as a monk and trained as a Spartan, Milan is the center of operations Lorenzo between races, their meeting point for interviews and reports like the one Awarded Magazine before diving again in the battle for the MotoGP World Championship, which this weekend visit Misano in the 13th round of the championship. The full agenda, including major awards, training, events sponsorship, commercial commitments and its altruistic work, just leave a free slot to Jorge Lorenzo Guerrero (Palma, 1987), MotoGP world champion chasing his third title in the resurgence. This fall is playing with his neighbor's garage and rival Valentino Rossi.

"If I'm champion this year, I will have been the one to do against Rossi, Stoner and Marquez, who are the three most talented drivers of the past 25 years"

Whenever it is busier. Just launched the fashion line Skull Rider, works with charitable causes, travels the globe to acts of sponsorship, appears on television ... It might seem to be bored with bikes, or is there life beyond?
    No ... My passion is racing; It is what gives me happiness and I reported the most revenue, so I give them priority. Then I have the luck to be surrounded by a professional team that makes me work, and when I have a relaxing time and schedule permits, I try to put my little bit for people who have not had the luck that I have I had.

What motivates you more to get off the bike?
    Help I know, my family and friends, so they are best. We also collaborate with organizations such as the Anna Vives Foundation to help people with Down syndrome, to convey that they are very capable of doing services and jobs, and children suffering from leukemia (Barcelona) Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, bringing gifts and illusion.

A young man with concerns. In recent years it has also been featured in a biography, a comic, two documentaries, a book ... What remains to be done, a movie? At one time he wanted to be an actor.
    Not anymore. The biography of 20 years, rather than go through a career that was so short, it was a way for fans could understand me, know my way of thinking, my experiences of those years ... And being an actor, now I do not think about it; I am very focused on the bikes, to try to get better and win the maximum runs.

Jorge Lorenzo is one of those athletes who seem to take a lifetime in business. In fact, 14 seasons in the World Motorcycling -from which debuted just turned 15 years old in 2002 making it one of the veterans of the circus of the two wheels. After winning two 250cc titles and break into the premier class hard, rubbing shoulders with the best, George soon became the pilot reference; the guy who in 2010, in his third year with the great, defeated the teacher, Valentino Rossi, mirror and admired his rival. It was not flower one day. The following year he was runner-up and in 2012 it returned to win, overwhelming. It was the first Spanish reigned twice in the largest displacement. Lorenzo was called to be the new king lion MotoGP, the pilot could start building your empire. But in 2013 came a child who did blow up the hierarchy, who laughed the establishment and questioned the most basic beliefs of the premier-class. Marc Márquez established his reign (2013-2014) of a despotic manner and cornered Rossi, Pedrosa and Lorenzo idols. Jorge was left without its empire promised. He played rebuild the castle. It is now hard at work.

On World 2015 is being the best version of Jorge Lorenzo. How lived two years in the shadow of the sports and media phenomenon that led Marquez?
    I always believed in myself. Sometimes you're a more complete driver than in previous years, but the results are worse. From year to year, circumstances change, and sometimes do not have the perfect set for the results to accompany you. Marquez, for example, won in his first season, and this year is far off the pace, but it sure is now much better pilot. Being world champion is not dependent on oneself; depend of the team, the bike, engine, electronics, suspension, tires ... There are many factors that influence. As it affects not have bad luck.

"What further strengthened my faith to keep believing was the past: having overcome difficult situations before made me think
    why this time it would not be the same "

What went through your mind when the results gave him back?
    Seeing it in perspective, I have been fortunate to have made a successful career; I've been world champion four times (two MotoGP) and took more than 50 victories. But I've also had very difficult times, in which the results did not come out. And long, too. What I reinforced the faith to keep believing it was the past: having overcome difficult situations before made me think why this time would not be the same.

Will he clung to the experience?
    Yes, the fact understand that this is sport, not only compete, and sometimes you fail the bike but sometimes a rival is in better shape. Neither Jordan or Muhammad Ali or Pele or Maradona could be a lifetime best. They also lived hard moments and decay reached them. It is the law of life. If older have had bad times, why I will not take them too?

Now back to claim the title. It being possible for this revival, what has been used?
    First, we must be humble enough to make self-criticism. If you do not, you think best, you think you know everything and you go down. Simply I analyzed everything I did wrong, I worked more than ever in the gym, mountain biking on the bike and on all surfaces throughout the winter. Almost did not vacation in winter and arrived early in the season more prepared in every way.

Did it change anything psychologically?
    When I found best was when my driving was all instinct, especially from Jerez. Sometimes we worry to improve aspects of driving and we lose sight of that instinct is the best option. The essence of driving style is what made me win titles.

"Neither Jordan nor Pele or Maradona could be the best life; if larger had bad times, why would not I have them too? "

What is the most difficult of not being on the front line?
    I had to work harder. He had no particular pressure because I knew that sooner or later would be ahead. Pressure was 15 or 16 years, when it had achieved nothing and had to get results noses to continue in this sport. That itself was pressure. Although obviously if you do not win, you need something in your life, you're not as happy, though the rest of the things will go well.

The emergence of Márquez has overturned hierarchies MotoGP. But beyond the sport, Marc has also stolen prominence, social impact, fans and media attention. The battle on the track is transferred to the social networks: it already exceeds it in Twitter and Instagram followers, and you have more friends on Facebook. How has lived a novice overshadow him and leave him in the background?
    The truth is that it has never bothered me much if I mediatically the most popular, or the second or the third. Even when I won titles MotoGP, Pedrosa was more popular than me, by tradition, because I had more time, by their nature or because out more on television. He has never worried me I be too much media. Now Marquez has won two straight titles and media attention is above Pedrosa and me. A does not affect me.

Athletically, ¿Marquez has meant an extra motivation?
    Gutierrez Marquez or whatever, if you are winning, the bar is set higher and try to reach it, regardless. If Rossi had been the dominator two years, he tries to get to their height. In this sense, it is easier to reach your opponent when you have the same bike, so no excuses because of mechanics.

MotoGP has been able to be champion against Pedrosa, with Stoner and Rossi against. Do you have a score to settle with Marquez?
    This year is very important because if I can be the final champion will have been the one to get active while Valentino Rossi, who is from an older generation; Casey Stoner, who is my age; and Marc Márquez, who is younger. For me are the three most talented drivers and faster in the last 25 years, so it would win this year to be very proud.

"Pressure was 15 or 16 years, when it had achieved nothing and had to get results noses to keep running; that itself was pressure "

Who gives more pleasure win, Marc or Valentino?
    It gives me pleasure simply to win, but to any particular driver.

Is there something you like about them?
    Marc is very ambitious, always he wants to win and be the fastest, and does not care how much you need to risk to achieve it. That may be good because risk taking talent as he has, makes you go fast and be very explosive; but also it has its risks. De Rossi highlight his intelligence on the bike, always very cool to think too much and analyze what is the best strategy, and also off the track, as a public figure who has created and sold incredibly.

To win this World Cup would complete a three-peat that have only managed nine drivers in the premier class. A ceiling is placed, reach four, five, six world?
    No. I'm going year to year. I am fighting for the third, and if I do, I guess I'll go around the room. I know it is impossible to achieve titles with Valentino (7) or Agostini (8); not that I can never do. Moreover, it is now much more difficult because the level is very high, varies yearly performance brands.

Do you see many years on a motorcycle? 28 I do not know if it starts to consider a retirement plan.
    I'm still relatively young, but for certain things I am no longer as with 20. And with 30-odd I'll further. But the experience is a plus, every time I am more complete. Rossi is proving that you can be more competitive than ever with 36, even in a physical MotoGP and both levels. It is setting a precedent.

"I do not regret anything; the perfect life there, and everyone makes mistakes. I have always fulfilled my dreams "

However, it is Lorenzo who takes a lifetime motorcycle. Literally. His mother, Mary, genetically transmitted to Jorge speed when brewing within it: working in Palma and messenger unwittingly distributed while walking his firstborn future in a 80 cc moped packages. Years later bear his offspring to kindergarten on a motorcycle. "It put forward, in the Vespa we had, and enjoyed a lot." Also his father, Chicho, was twisting the gas, as motocross was in Galicia and that is mechanical. It was his first trainer, motivator and counselor. But Jorge flew the nest soon. At 14 he left Barcelona to go to Palma and start your racing career. A singular life, self-made man, without education, without the protection of the family environment, which has given it character and a strong personality.

What are you most proud to have moved on?
    I had to do myself in many ways, I've been reinventing, I had the curiosity to learn, and I went mejorándome. Children in difficult circumstances (his parents separated when he was 10 years old) develop more capacity for suffering. GM already have a strong and tough character, but I've been living these years has made me even stronger.

What do you think you most like about Jorge Lorenzo?
    It depends on the eyes that look at me. Some people I can seem hypocritical, and others, the most honest guy in the world. My friends value that'm honest and say things directly.

And the least?
    Perhaps also that, that sometimes I am too direct and I offend because I get inside. Sometimes I do not think how they can receive my message. So I try to change the way you say things in a more subtle way. And I'm also a perfectionist, myself and those who work with me. This perfectionism can sometimes hurt, but I am.

What remains of that Lorenzo who was reputed to chulito?
    Everything in life is in the right measure. The way you say things, it may seem that you are well, but really are not. I've been polishing the edges of my character, and I do not have a bad background. I am honest and that honesty can hurt.

"That whistle me my rivals fans to me is a good sign. If you have a strong character, you earn more animosity of those who see you as a threat "

What's wrong with your external communication when Lorenzo brings mixed feelings of love and hate, and others always see them as the nice guys?
    It Depends. There are also people who does not like Marquez and Rossi. Others who do not like him Pedrosa or Lorenzo. There are people for everything.

A Pedrosa, Rossi Marquez or have not whistled them ...
    Yes it's correct. Perhaps because they see them as a direct enemy, or have never had any discussion or war of words as I had. The Montmelo whistles became widespread in excess: start three or four, meet 20, were Valentino fans, and it seems to all the supporters.

How do you interpret?
    For me it's a good sign. If Valentino fans whistle me is because I'm doing very well, because they see me as a rival. If you have a strong character, you earn more animosity of those who see you as a threat. Donington in 2008, Stoner was leading the championship, he was ahead of Rossi, an Anglo-Saxon country and booed him. For what reason?

A colleague wrote that "betrays telegenia Lorenzo, gestures not accompany him."
    What do you think? I've never done anything to anyone ... I've always been a good professional, I have run recently operated injured and I have tried to respect the opponent, do my job the best. The reason is quite clear whistles.

Do you regret anything? Would it change their ways?
    I do not regret anything. There is no perfect life, everyone makes mistakes. I have always fulfilled my dreams and I have done what I liked, why we must repent? Of course I have made mistakes, but never did harm to anyone.

Original - http://www.magazinedigital.com/historias/e...veces-hace-dano

0 replies since 17/9/2015, 17:47   401 views