Interview in the German Motorsport Magazin

« Older   Newer »

1. StarGold

User deleted

I just found this interview and translated it for you all :)
    I know my english is sh**, but i hope you can understand everything lol

Here we go:

Many journalists describe you as a hero after the Assen Grand Prix. What do you think about that?

In my opinion I'm not a hero. True heroes are people in Europe or around the world who don't have a job or a low salary and fight every month to feed their family. They are true heroes. I am a lucky one, because I have a wonderful job. I get paid for the thing i like most: to ride a motorcycle. I'm really a very happy man.

How bad was it to bear up against the pain?

The worst about the motorcyclingsport are the injuries. This sport is really dangerous. You can die, have the worst pain and you can get bad injuries. But in every sport or job are negative things. You can complain about specific things, but you have to go on. If you really know, what to do and you want to win, you have to go on - in the sport you love.

Did you ever want to quit in the 26 rounds of Assen?

No, not in the race. Maybe in the qualifying. The first two or three rounds were really bad, because i had horrible pain. Therefore i had to align my body and i needed to find out, where I could relax to safe my energy. The first two, three rounds were really hard. I thought the race will be very hard. But in every round it became easier. I felt a great relief.

Did you have to change your style of driving because of your shoulder injury?

Yes. I didn't have the same strenght as always on the left side of my body, so I had to transfer all the strenght to my right side to use my power. Thats why I became tired in the race.

You won your home race in Barcelona and after that you rode in Assen. Which one got you a better feeling?

25 points are 25 points. If we talk about the results, the Catalunya Grand Prix was surely better. But if we talk about the positive effects on the people, I think Assen will be forever in the memories of the people. Thats probably better than the points.

How difficult is the title defence this year for you?

It is really hard. But for me it's a little bit easier than 2011. Because in 2011, for me it was impossible to win the championship with the bike we had. This year we have a better bike. We will see if we can win the championship again.

What can you do to beat the Honda riders?

I think we are great - except Le Mans. It was a disaster. I think we had problems with the rear tyres. Because of that our performance was a disaster. And then came the fall at Assen. Except Le Mans, I think we had a good championship.

Is Yamaha constructing the new 'seamless gearbox'? What change will it bring to you Valentino Rossi?

Yes, in this year. But I don't a expect a huge difference. It will be a small improvement, but every small improvement will be good for us.

Do you'll get other updates in this season?

I want! I really want new parts to test, to improve the M1. But at the moment it will be just small updates.

There are a lot circuits which are better for the Yamaha and a lot which are better for the Honda. Do you see a better advantage for you on the following circuits?

The circuits on which you have to accelerate, with small curves and long following straights are better for Honda. Generally you can say: the faster and fluel the course is, the better it is for Yamaha.

Your relationship with Valentino Rossi is better this year. What have changed in the last two years, where he was with Ducati?

We are now in a other position. By the time i came to Yamaha, he was the MotoGP worldchampion and he was the absolutely number 1 or even the 'Yamaha-King'. However do you want to describe him, he was on the zenith of his career. I came and had a lot to learn. He just wanted to defend his position and his land and i came slowly, got better and stronger, and i got more influence in the team. He came back to Yamaha after two years and his position is a other now. We all know that he is a nine-time worldchampion and a over 100-times Gp winner. Now he has to prove that he is the Yamaha rider or just the rider who can win more grandpix on the M1. It is not very easy for him. I'm sitting very long on this bike now and know it well. But he is still a rider on a high niveau. Like he improved in Assen, he is still very fast and strong on this bike.

Do you miss Casey Stoner?

Missing is a powerful word. But of course i miss to see him race, especially at Phillip Island - but actually on every course. With his talent to slide at his back tyre...it was unbelievable. He was very strong as a rival and hard to beat. As fan of MotoGP, it was great to had a rider like him.

Cal Crutchlow isn't just a rival but a friend of you. Do the friendship changes anything on the track?

Yes we are friends, but it doesn't change anything on the track. The races are a thing and our private life or life beside the races is another one.

Can you imagine to drive another bike than a Yamaha?

It is not a secret, that i want to end my career on this bike with this team. It has been and continues to be my dream. But every rider know what can happen. Everything can happen from one day to the next.

What are your strengths on the M1?

The stability, the way I can handle the gas are definately my strengths on the Yamaha.

What do you think about the new qualification-mode this year?

It is interesting. But you have to take care and trying to make less mistakes than before. Because the time is shorter. Sometimes it is more stressful than before, but this changes every race-weekend.

What was it with the burned down flat in Swiss?

The rumours were wrong. It wasn't my flat, happily! But it was true that i looked at this flat, but i didn't take it. I still live in a hotel in Swiss. I'm looking for a nice house. But the best would be, if i drive to Lugano and extinguish the fire in my flat [laughs]

Why did you decide to move to Swiss?

In Lugano they are speaking Italian, so I can communicate as a Spain. Besides the place is near Yamaha in Milano. I just drive one and a half hour to Yamaha and train almost everyday there.

Do you do other sports in your free-time?

I like football, tennis, golf and i play ping-pong a lot. It is good for the reflexes, I think and it makes a lot of fun. These four sports I like the most.

How would your friends describe you?

I think as a perfectionist and as very unpunctual. Yes, i come always late [laughs]

What is the biggest mistake you have had ever done in your life?

I don't know...As a kid I wasn't always nice to some people. But if you're young, you make a lot of mistakes.

What motivates you everyday?

I try to enjoy life. I try to appreciate what I have. I think this is one of the hardest lessons in life, but you have to do it.

Do you have a bad habit you want to lose?

I'm the whole day online in Whatsapp [laughs] (well who isn't? haha :P)

What is you biggest dream away from races?

I want to be trying to stay safe and healthy. Ever.

2. boobby__

User deleted

Thks for the translation!
    Addicted to whatsapp.. well u're 26, who in the 20s isnt anyway ?! xD

3. Laura…x

User deleted

Thanks for translating Selina :) Interesting interview.

Glad he cleared up the rumours about the flat "The rumours were wrong. It wasn't my flat, happily! But it was true that i looked at this flat, but i didn't take it. I still live in a hotel in Swiss. I'm looking for a nice house. But the best would be, if i drive to Lugano and extinguish the fire in my flat [laughs]"

Its true even though the sport is dangerous, they just have to carry on. That's why I admire riders so much, even when they crash they get back up, unlike some other sports like football when they get tackled they roll on the floor like they're dying.

Haha, I remember Hector saying he's always late XD and also yes Whatsapp is what everyone uses now, who isnt addicted lol.

2 replies since 17/9/2013, 18:42   144 views