RTR Sports Interview

Exclusive interview with Jorge Lorenzo. On Marquez, Valentino and winning championships

« Older   Newer »

1. StarGold

User deleted

At the same age when Albert Einstein wasn’t even talking, Jorge Lorenzo was placed on a motorcycle. Several months later he took part in his first ever minicross race and it was five years later that he took his first titles. At eight years old he took the Balearic title and in following year, titles in minicross, trial, minimoto and junior motocross on Balearic island followed and at the age of 11 he won the Aprilia 50cc title. It was inevitable then that he would be destined for MotoGP but worked his way up through the 125cc series. Instead of staying at home playing computer games or hanging around in parks till late, his début Grand Prix was at the 2002 Spanish Grand Prix, having the best 15th birthday present possible, a 125cc ride, but he had to miss Friday practice as he wasn’t old enough to ride. He had three seasons in 125cc with four wins and fourth in 2004 meant he graduated to 250cc but again took no wins in his début season. His first season saw him in fifth but his eye for winning saw him win the Championship for the next couple of seasons and got him a move to Yamaha in the premier class. It took him only three races to take his first win and his intense rivalry with Valentino Rossi. In 2010, he triumphed over Rossi, albeit Rossi’s broken leg, but nonetheless, he took the title. He repeated this in 2012 and started 2013 positively until his shoulder injury and has been overtaken by Marquez in the standings, but it isn’t over till the chequered flag in Valencia and I was fortunate enough to ask him a some questions.

Dan Takyi: How do you feel your season has gone so far?

Jorge Lorenzo: Regarding the results not so good as we expected before. The two big crashes and the injuries put us in a bad shape and conditioned our pace during the mid season. Anyway, considering the surgeries and the time we lost to train and recover is definitely not so bad.

DT: Do you think Marquez or Pedrosa is your main rival for the rest of the season?

JL: I think both are really strong. Marc took profit of our injuries and he did a very good job, adding more victories while Dani or me were damaged. Dani is also pressured by his team mate and I think he is also surprised on Marc’s performance. But this sport is so challenging at every corner and there are six races still remaining. Now I see Marquez stronger than Dani because is leading the championship.

DT: How much has your shoulder injury affected you?

JL: So much. Before Assen I felt really strong, more than ever. That crash changed our plans and even more Sachsenring crash. You never have to turn your head into the past but without that problems I guess the season would worked better.

DT: Do you feel like you’re in a better position than Marc for the championship with your experience in how to handle the pressure and challenge?

JL: Definitely no. First of all is no question being experienced. Now is so clear that the Honda bike is stronger, more performance than our bike and we have to cut off the distance to them. I told everybody in Silverstone: Marc is now the favourite but we have to try to find the way to beat him and never give up.

DT: How is your relationship with the team and are you still the number one in Yamaha?

JL: I don’t want to hear anything about who is the number one in the team. We are a team. Obviously I’m reigning world champion but Valentino is a legend with nine titles and has a huge background as a rider. Our relationship have changed a lot and the ambience in the team is fantastic.

DT: We haven’t seen a wall in the garage, so we can assume that your relationship with Valentino is better than last time, what would you say are the main differences in your relationship?

JL: We are more mature, specially in my case. And Vale after suffering two hard seasons with Ducati came back with a different approach. We are closer than ever in terms of chat and discuss technical things to improve our bike. We are not friends but we estimate each other.

DT: Do you have any regrets from last time you were teammates and would you be willing to support him in a title battle?

JL: No, no regrets. I’m always focused in the future. Regarding the support, why not? Is my team mate.

DT: Now on a brighter note, which of your two world championships felt better to win?

JL: Each one is important, each one has its special facts. The first one is amazing. But maybe the second one is even more difficult to achieve because everybody is expecting you.

DT: Who would you consider to be your greatest rival throughout your career?

JL: Are many. I wouldn’t say one in oparticular. Dani, Valentino, Casey…

DT: What would be your greatest races in all your career?

JL: Sometimes I think my best ever win was the first one at Brasil. Was amazing specially the way I achieved it ‘Por fuera’. And the last one at Silverstone against Márquez.

DT: How would you say you’ve grown during your career, as a rider and as a person?

JL: I have grown much as person than as a rider. When you are quick on a bike you always can do in the same way with different bikes. But as a person I fell myself more mature, more responsible…

DT: Do you feel the seamless gearbox will help with your fight against the Hondas by much? If so, how much?

JL: I don’t know. We have other areas in which improve more. The gearbox is still developing at Japan, is not our main subject.

DT. You recently tweeted, “Do not regret, don’t feel disappointed, just ask yourself, ‘What do I have to do to be better?’” what do you feel you have to do better?

JL: Keep concentration every day, fit youself, try to gain in the weak points, grow as a person to know yourself even better, and always focused in win, specially when you are not able to win.

DT: You seem to have a good relationship with Cal Crutchlow, is he one of your best friends in the paddock?

JL: Is a kindly guy and a good mate but my friends are out of this world. Maybe is one of them I talk more with and is always joking.

DT: Lastly, how is LorenZin doing and will we see him at every race?

JL: For sure. Yo will see him on each race. Is my new ‘friend’ he always travel with me. Is a nice monkey. And is catching up hundreds of folllowers.

By Daniel Takyi

The question about LorenZin :lol:

2. Laura…x

User deleted

Thanks for posting this interview. Haha! Glad they asked a question about Lorenzin :) x

3. Coolpix

User deleted

I think he has a healthy attitude to his collegues. :)

I'm waiting for a Lorenzin-Fanclub ;) :D

4. StarGold

User deleted

yea I'm glad that he and Vale have a normal relationship now :)

haha me too!! he should take Lorenzin with him to his box at the races :lol:

3 replies since 4/9/2013, 13:33   124 views