Jorge in l'Equipe Mag

« Older   Newer »

1. boobby__

User deleted

MotoGP isnt a world championship, its a spain championship with Marquez, Pedrosa and you...
    Spain took power on motorcycle sport. it does not happen in one day. it's a decade, maybe two, of work and organization. the Spanish federation has established championships for kids and allowed them to access to the competition, even if they didn't have financial means. we were supported by major sponsors: Repsol, Telefonica, Movistar. we also have a tradition born with Angel Nieto and many tracks available to organize events. Its a pyramidal structure in which the strongest can emerge and be supported. it makes sense now to see that the best riders are Spanish in the motogp, moto2 and moto3.

Bike sport are still a major sport in Spain?
    Kids who love sport in Spain have three dreams : becoming footballers, tennis players or riders. it is not a dream shared in many countries.

But you, you are from Mallorca
    I'm Spanish first, but Catalonia is the birthplace of the motorcycle. I have a house there and I'm a fan of the Barca in football. Marquez and Pedrosa are from there too.

Emotionally, do you prefer to fight with Spanish or foreign for the title ?
    Battle between Spanish generates real rivalries and that's good for motogp. media likes collisions between champions, beautiful conflicting stories. Pedrosa, Marquez and I we fight "in a championship IN the championship."

Agree, but for non-Spanish is a bit boring ..
    Really? and when in athletics, they are Jamaicans who come to challenge Usain Bolt, you find it boring?
    Before it was a fight between guys from the USA and the rivalry was terrible and exciting, right? so ...

So ... you're right.
    And I can go again with more examples. NBA passion the whole world. This is a world championship clubs played by 100% U.S. team.

And what about the rivalry between Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi?
    There are exciting duels this year. Valentino and me on the same bike, the Yamaha. Pedrosa and Marquez on the Honda. Battles in the championship. Behind, there are dangerous outsiders as Crutchlow, who flirts with the victory. One thing is for sure, if I am beaten, I prefer it to be by an old like Rossi than by a rooky like Marquez.

In any case, as Rossi is the motogp not risk much in terms of media coverage ...
    Valentino is a real character and he's different from that of other riders. He pulled the motogp out of his restraint universe. He is friendly and communicates well. Anyway, the GP existed before Rossi. They'll exist after him ... Dorna has made great efforts on the quality of broadcasts. Cameras, slow mo, it became a real show.

Nevertheless Dorna partially funded the return of Rossi at Yamaha ...
    I don't know ... This is a rumor. And if it is true, Dorna will never admit.

And if it was true, would you be shocked ?
    The MotoGP is a sport, but also a business.

You are dual world champion motogp, a true champion. But not a star as Rossi. What do you miss for being one?
    What is it to be a star?

Alonso: million, Nadal: 22.9, Rossi: 22.2, Lorenzo: 8.7 ...
    Rossi is extroverted and it helps to sell his image. I am also a joker, but with my friends. In my job, I'm focused. I am unable to make the funny things be a clown in these moments. But beyond that, Rossi have won 9 world championship titles including 7 in 500/Motogp, me, only two in Motogp.

So you will stay in motogp to accumulate titles.
    I don't want to become a legend. I've already accomplished my dream of becoming world champion. I would even have been happy to just win a race one day. I went well beyond. I'm in the top 10 riders who won the most of GP. I'm not even sure who is in front of me, but that does not obsess me. I don't want to become a legend. My goal is to finish my career healthy and enjoy life.

You fear for your life?
    I am aware that i can die on a track. I've already lost a fingertip in Phillip Island, Australia, in 2011. And this, despite the constant improvements made ​​to the tracks, clearances and technical developments on helmets, suits, protection. In motorcycle, when you make a mistake, you can really get hurt. In Football, a mistake en in a yellow or red card, but you will not die. In F1, you are protected and you have less chances to die than in motorcycle.

The paddock is still shocked by Marco Simoncelli's death, in October 2011, during the Sepang GP hit by Edwards and Rossi.
    The collective awareness of the dangers does not date from this tragic accident. Marco fell and he had no luck in being returned on the middle of the track. It was a terrible coincidence. Pilots who came could not do anything to avoid it.

What can we do to protect motorcycle riders?
    I fight with Rossi, Crutchlow, Dovi and others with the organizers to establish rules that punish dangerous behavior on the track. There must be sanctions just like in F1. Commission will look at the activities and issues and may penalize or suspend a rider. This is what happened to Romain Grosjean last year. We, we just managed to impose a license with points that would be penalties, but the penalties do not fall ...

There, you are referring to Marquez, with whom you seriously "rubbed" early in the season ...
    It was at Jerez. He came very hard on the brakes and repeatedly my rear wheel was almost touching with his front wheel. that's very dangerous. Especially for the one in front cause he wont see the blow coming. The fall is inevitable. Marquez is young and spirited.

You were young and spirited ...
    Yes, but in less hazardous categories. The motogp are heavy and powerful. But it's true, I was like a mad bull who does not see the colors. And I paid to learn. In 2005, I have shot DeAngelis in Montmelo, Pedrosa in sachsenring and two at once at Motegi, where, with 30 meters of delayed entering a corner, I wanted to double both at once ... Almost every time I put them down and me with them..

So what?
    I didnt feelled guilty. I was a mad bull. I was suspended for 1 GP and I thought it wasnt normal it was unfair. Later, I realized that the jury had made me a beautiful gift. He alerted me about my behavior.

You, later continued to be dangerous, but for you. As in 2008, your debut in MotoGP.
    Oh! dear! Wait, I count. 5 crashes in four races? uh .. No 6. A huge one in China and I broke both ankles. I went back the race after using crutches, it was at Le Mans, and I've been down 3 times. Another fall at Mugello and Barcelona a terrible one, a "highside". I fell on the head. When I regained my senses after my crash in China, I thought I was still in Spain. I had a pupil much more dilated than the other and the doctors feared that my brain was touched. It is a sign, it seems.

And then you got scared.
    yes, I really realized that I gotta stop being a mad bull. I started working to dominate this feeling. I went to a bookstore to find books. I worked on me. I started to do yoga and relaxation therapy. I worked to de-stress me. I have long been a shy person, anxious. It eat me from the inside. I've learned to work on my breathing to control my palpitations, find inner peace and gain concentration.

Ramon Forcada, your technical engineer, said that you are still head in the air and you can go for a run to test a setting, but you soon forget instructions.
    Yes, it happened to me a lot before. I always want to get the performance and I happen to zap the specific work focus. But the longer it goes, the more I submit. When you arrive at your top level in terms of riding, you can only improve having a better bike, better regulated, more balanced. And it comes through the development.

Returning to the issue of stress and shyness. You have, at one time, took acting classes, it seems?
    Yes, it was in 2008, it was a pivotal year for me. My shyness gave me problems and not just on the track. In my personal life too. So I went by myslef taking lessons. And then I was asked to do things in front of other students. Pff .... I had to let the monkey that sleeps in me go out. Or, other times be a table. It's not easy to be a table ........
    It was violent, a torture being exposed to the others. After four months, I stopped.

You get there again, only you, in front of your mirror, leaving that monkey in you go out?
    Instead I rely on music. Especially sundays before start. In my montorhome I put Nirvana, AC / DC or Lenny Kravitz and then I loose. I let my body free. it helps me to empty, to concentrate. I am calm after that.

The mad bull is definitely dead in you?
    The bull is here, sleeping. I don't want him to wake up. In the race, I became more lucid, I feel better shots and I went on the attack if it is really playable. The mad bull became a fox. And yet I still can be hurt....

Thats all, sorry for any typo and strange sentences ... =)))

2. rhie

User deleted

Thanks Boobby :)

3. Coolpix

User deleted

Thanks for this intervew.
    Nice to read about his change the last years.

4. Laura…x

User deleted

Thanks for translating the interview Bobby :) Interesting interview. He's grown up a lot over the years. He's grown into a great person. x

5. StarGold

User deleted

thanks for the translation! :)
    Jorges interviews are always so 'deep' (you know what i mean?) and very very interesting

4 replies since 2/9/2013, 21:25   133 views