Q&A with Jorge Lorenzo, Man of Steel

« Older   Newer »

1. Laura…x

User deleted

We are used to seeing amazing feats from the stars of MotoGP but even by those standards Jorge Lorenzo's exploits in Assen were something special. He broke his collarbone in Thursday practice before flying to Barcelona for an operation and returning in time to race on Saturday, taking an extraordinary 5th place to keep his championship hopes alive.

Jorge spoke to www.raceofchampions.com to explain how he did it...

After your crash in practice at Assen last week did you ever doubt you would be able to race or that the doctors would let you race? Was there any panic?
    Yes, for sure. At the beginning we thought we were out for maybe two or three races.

Did you feel under more pressure to maximise the amount of points, trailing Dani Pedrosa in the championship?
    No, that was not important at that moment, I just thought about my recovery.

How did you manage to organise everything so fast after the crash, flying back to Barcelona, doing the surgery and being back on the bike in time for warm-up and the race?
    My team helped me. At the beginning nobody wanted to do the surgery the same day. All the doctors said I should relax at home for three days, then we should proceed. But I was in pain and I preferred to get it done as soon as possible. Wilco, my team manager, asked me: “Why not now?” Then we started to ask about trying it. Dorna informed us they had a private flight in Groningen available when we needed it. I called my personal doctor in Spain, Teresa Sola, and she organised the operation room at midnight and all the doctors. We took off at around 9pm and I went straight to the Hospital General de Catalunya. I slept well. I slept a lot of hours with the doctors. I woke up well too and I asked my crew to take the flight in the afternoon. No sooner said than done!

How did you have to change your approach getting back – and comfortable – on the bike? What was the most difficult and painful part?
    My crew changed the bike a little bit because we knew I couldn't ride as before. Obviously you have a lot of pain around: with each movement I did, I had pain.

How far are you willing to push yourself physically in order to keep competing?
    I wanted to show myself I could do it.

Other Race Of Champions stars like Travis Pastrana and Mick Doohan are famous for racing despite pain and injuries. Are people like them an example or did someone else give you the motivation to keep trying to race in Assen?
    Each injury is different and the sports are different too if I compare to Travis. But when you know other riders like you could do it, they are an inspiration because you know it's not impossible.

How do you now rate your eventual fifth place in Assen under such challenging conditions compared to your many other victories and championship titles?
    Maybe it's like a victory. For two days I was without points, maybe thinking the championship was finished. After all that, it's a victory – maybe the best ever.

What do you think about the new nickname "Man of Steel"? At ROC we should probably call you "Champion of Steel" now…
    I’ve earned many nicknames in the past few days and it's incredible. But I don't know: I am a normal guy, I just believe in myself and in my mentality. I was sure I could do it and I tried.

How do you feel today and how fit will you be for the next race?
    I’ve recovered much better than I thought. One week on I am very well and I hope to be ready for Sachsenring. I am looking forward to competing.

At ROC last year you showed you are very fast on four wheels too. Riders like Pastrana and Doohan have both switched to racing cars, is that something you would also consider after your MotoGP career?
    I would like to drive more cars but I don’t have time. I have to do more testing to be as competitive as them.

What was it like to meet all the other great champions from F1 and elsewhere at your first Race Of Champions last year - and how would you like to be back for more?
    I enjoyed it a lot. I really love ROC and I would like to come as soon as possible. My wish is try to be competitive at my next visit to ROC.

Are bike racers and race drivers in general a different breed than normal human beings? More crazy/brave?
    We are not crazy, you can trust me. We know full well what we are doing…

2. Nessie26

User deleted

Jorge is a very strong and mature boy... Thank you, Laura. :) :)

1 replies since 10/7/2013, 15:09   138 views