Lorenzo: "On the bike it's best not to think"

28/11/12

« Older   Newer »

1. Laura…x

User deleted

Original Article + Video: www.marca.com/2012/11/28/motor/mundial_motos/1354105777.html

Jorge Lorenzo is not one to usually skip his strict diet. Yesterday he did, during the tribute that marks him winning his second MotoGP title. Average glass of wine and some ham broke his routine of chicken and rice. With humor and carefree for a day of relaxation, said he was relishing the best days of his life.

2j2gaxd

QUESTION. What's life like on the moon?
    REPLY. I do not know. I've never been.

Q. I say this because you're in a stratospheric moment
    R. I am very happy. As you're fulfilling years, enjoying life more. Everything professionally is going superbly. I can not ask for anything more.

Q. Are you more an alien or an astronaut?
    R. More alien, I'm comfortable in that territory. I do not feel a stranger in the paddock.

Q. In regard to serenity, also is it at its best?
    R. Yes, no doubt.

Q. Is it considered a myth of motorcycling?
    R. No. I still have things to do. The myths are seen after removal. Two titles are fine. It is much more than what I had in my expectations. Being champion once in 250 was what I had dreamed of. Four is much better in MotoGP and two is better than one, but there are many riders who have won more. And that are deserved much more than I to be considered to be myths.

Q. Biaggi and Stoner have retired. A part of your life retires with them?
    R. The withdrawal of Biaggi ends an era of pilots. Max was who captured me when I was young. In the first race I saw on television when he was struggling with Harada in 250 in Indonesia in 1995. Since then I have always followed him. Now we are great friends. Life goes on. Pilots gone. What remains is the motorcycling.

Q. What might persuade you to retire?
    R. I love motorcycling; it's what I like most and do the best. It's true that the travelling is tiring, we don't do any tourism and it's a mundane life. On top of that there are the risks. I'd like to retire in one piece. I'm already missing a bit of a finger which isn’t too bad but I would like to get out without anything too serious happening to me.

Q. Could love make you consider retiring??
    R. Do not believe that it was a very definite reason, but you never know.

Q. How much has been left on the road to get to where you are?
    R. I guess I'll be left to be done, but in life you can not do everything. Surely my childhood was a little different from others who are not athletes. I'm not at all sorry for what I've left undone.

Q. How much have you suffered on a personal level to get here?
    R. Life is tough for everybody; nobody goes through life without some issues. I've had injuries and problems at the beginning of my career when I had to get results in order to assure my future. There was a lot of pressure. It's not the same to feel pressure at 25 as it is at 15 when you are still not in control emotionally and it’s easier for things to go wrong. I've been lucky and my career has always been improving.

Q. Is Rossi a wolf in sheep's clothing?
    R. On the one hand is a smart attitude. In sport you never know what can happen next year. It takes two years, with a motorcycle in which he did not feel well, has not had a very shiny. But on the other hand, I'm sure that will go fast then as only two years ago that left the Yamaha rider winning races and getting nine titles and more than 100 career wins is not by chance. It does this because it has something special.

Q. Does a World Championship full of Spaniards devalue it a bit?
    R. It does for the media a bit yes. To get a first, second and third every week is becoming too common and people soon forget how important a feat that is. It's a bit of a quiet period in the sport that is taking longer to come to an end than we thought, but other countries are beginning to do good things and bring on some young riders.

Q. - What quality would you take from Pedrosa?
    R. I would keep my physique for the braking and changes of direction because I think I am built perfectly to ride MotoGP, but losing a kilo or two would help me go faster towards the finish line. Pedrosa has great acceleration and more speed than the others but to ride like he does with the build he has got takes a lot of guts. It requires a lot of technique and amazing precision. He has been able to get the most from his talent; he is the best at accelerating and he takes advantage of his low weight at the finish line.

Q. And Stoner?
    R. How he races at Phillip Island, and on all the circuits. If he deserves a 10 there, it’s a 9 for the others. He's probably the most talented rider I've seen, he was very special.

Q. What causes some riders to go so fast with any motorcycle?
    R. In the end all bikes are equal. If you go fast with it is quite possible that you do with the other. I remember when I tested a 125 grand prix in Cartagena and the second day I was within a second of Ueda and Cecchinello and I was only 11 or 12 years old.

Q. Some mechanics say you're like a robot. Have you come to feel that way sometimes?
    R. In 2008, not sure. It was a bit kamikaze, I did not know where the limit was. Based on bad experiences I've learned. Now, of course I made a mistake, I fell in Valencia, but it is less likely to occur. I know better where I fall.

Q. What percentage of Lorenzo's talent and what other work and effort?
    R. No one has a meter. More or less alike. An athlete without talent is very difficult to get to be number one for a long time. Someone with talent, but makes no effort, can be for a very short period of time.

Q. How far can you get in this sport?
    R. You can not get more important than MotoGP. You can only repeat, but that is the hard part. Every year the rivals are varying and the level of the bikes always change. It's easier to win when you have a great bike.

Q. All happiness hides some frustration after achieving it. Have you noticed?
    R. Do not call it that, but the motivation, if not you can create incentives to decline steadily. In my case I still have motivation which is important. Sure, when Schumacher won five consecutive titles, lost it a bit. You get used to the good or the bad. It can be the best kind of boredom.

Q. What do you hear a pilot under the helmet?
    R. The sound of your engine and, sometimes the other pilots.

Q. What is the first thought when the lights go out?
    R. You try not to think about anything, as soon as you start thinking about who's behind you or in what gear you're riding, you're in trouble. It's best to think of nothing and let yourself go, dance on top of the bike, feel it and let it flow.

Q. Have you driven a WRC, a GP2. When an F1?
    R. Would be nice. I do hope some things I have not done yet. But do one thing I can not do or it doesn't catch my attention. It would be a gift, an experience. Also am looking forward to it a lot.

P. What is the closest feeling to ride a MotoGP?
    R. The GP2, the speed, which is more or less similar. It is similar because it is a circuit, you have to accelerate, brake, change. But it has nothing to do because you don't have to put the balance of the bike or change direction. On two wheels, would be more like a bike or ski on snow.

Edited by Laura…x - 29/11/2012, 15:44

0 replies since 28/11/2012, 17:48   54 views