Chatting with Jorge Lorenzo

11 March 2013

« Older   Newer »

1. Laura…x

User deleted

No time to almost nothing in the life of Jorge Lorenzo (Palma de Mallorca, 1987). Their existence takes in haste since I turned pro a decade ago, when he was 15. At 300 miles an hour, sometimes real and sometimes metaphorical, this guy rides like a little rider on a journey that has no end of time, burning wheel from country to country, from event to event, from race to race, overcoming a curve after another, turning his body and his bike from left to right, right to left, accelerating, braking, draining distances and times, trying to do what you know best and as quickly, crossing finish line victorious. Last year, on his second world title in MotoGP , Lorenzo won six races and finished second in 10 out of a total of 18 circuits in which the tournament was played. That made him regularly imposed another Spanish, Dani Pedrosa, who performed while a second half of World very good, not lived up to Jorge in the first and ended up paying.

1362656630_631285_1362657219_noticia_normal

Lorenzo is the first Spanish champion gets to be the pinnacle of motorcycle (well in 2012, as it was in 2010 ). Actually, only Alex Criville had managed to win the World Cup Spain in 1999 . That in history, which began in 1949 in motorcycling. The premier-was, until now, Italian territory, U.S., British and Australian. Another step note passed for Spanish sport.

Last Friday in February in Madrid. As if it were a timed lap, the Spaniard rider graph appears with time in a studio near the Avenue of America in the capital of Spain . We expect two portraits sessions, one for the Italian brand of watches Sector No Limits , which will sponsor this year, and one with The Country Weekly . The place seems purposely chosen to receive a large motorcycles, a former garage converted into modern photographic space. For photographers, assistants, stylists, makeup artists, representatives of the brand watches and many others but I honestly do not really know what his role in the film, joins the retinue of Lorenzo, about seven or eight boys who will oversee every detail that happens, gold coddling the pilot.

When it crosses the door, looks about thirty people are stuck in it. Saluda friendly, smiling, with a touch of shyness, or away, who knows. Apparently someone does not seem godlike, but a person who has learned that prudence is essential. He recognized it so later when draw a clear line between who he is inside a motorcycle track, aggressive and lethal, and who is out, quiet and, above all, thoughtful.

A while now, Jorge Lorenzo has realized that he has to think twice about what he says to avoid falling into mistakes of the past who hurt the faux-statements, fuss during and after the races, bad relationships with other pilots ... - and now comes to caring. His new manager, Albert James, a personal friend since last June and its ally, explains: "One of our missions is to improve the image I had, wash your face. I think we are getting there. " Meanwhile, Jorge doubt between dating a green jacket or a black in the photographs, and seeks comment from your fellow travelers. Finally opt to be photographed with the two, with the sleeves rolled up to make it look perfect, the clock.

Between shots, in the few minutes that let you breath, Lorenzo will malcomiendo a pasta dish in a hurry, while analyzing what he comes up from 7 April in Qatar, when the new championship "In 2013, no doubt Honda and Yamaha are the favorites again. These are the brands that continue to dominate, because Ducati continues to struggle, but in the future will improve with the entry of Audi. But, as I say, I think Valentino [Rossi] and I in Yamaha, and Dani [Pedrosa] and Marc [Marquez] in Honda are aspiring MotoGP this World ". Interestingly, Lorenzo could have switched sides this season, Yamaha to Honda, but in the end he remained behind: "They were very even deals. Yamaha opted for personal relationships. At the time, Lin Jarvis (team) very strong bet for me. I felt indebted to him for all that he pushed at the time for me to continue in Yamaha ".

The interview will be brief, almost stumbled by demands of the script, which is typical in this type of arrangement. However, the meeting will be enough to savor his feelings for the future, to share a small moment of this and rushed to check that the past is past that was not always pleasant, but insist that their environment is exceeded.

Always attentive to the track, so is out: Lorenzo briefly interrupted the conversation with The Country Weekly to call attention to a camera that is filming the making of the photo shoot, and it captures the pilot with a sports drink " Can not record this, "he says. And he has an agreement with another competing brand. "I try to stay focused on everything and take care of my sponsors, otherwise could break contracts," he says seriously. In this world and at this level there is big money at stake: "For those of us doing well in the circuit, going really well. It's lucky. "

In the season is about to start should also look at what happens on your computer. You should be aware of Valentino Rossi, nine-time world champion (seven in the top flight), returning to Yamaha after two disappointing years at Ducati. The Spanish share the garage with that either teammate in 2008 and 2009, years of turmoil between them. Both had even started a wall physically in two Yamaha workshop: "The wall is very media, but for me it did not matter. If you want to spy on the other driver is very easy to do " , he recalls, while clarifying: "This year there will be no wall. Not sure why it did at the time and who decided to do it. Some say they were Michelin and Bridgestone (tire marks), who had a great competition with each other. Others say it was Yamaha. And others, who was Valentino ... I do not know and do not care. "

In many jobs, bringing together two people who have clashed with each other considerably in the past would not be the best idea. But in motorcycling anything is possible, and the second parts, why not, can be good: "Valentino's return to Yamaha is logical for the brand. He has many fans and an extraordinary level of riding. It has been shown in recent workouts in Sepang (Malaysia), falling to only one tenth of my time, which is nothing. Rossi has something special, is a pilot with nine titles and more than a hundred victories. This is not achieved by chance. It is a very difficult opponent, perhaps the most difficult to have as a companion. His arrival can be interpreted in two ways. If you see it in a negative way and think it's a threat, you can get nervous. However, I am positive: the fact that Yamaha is reaches the opportunity to bring the same bike as one of the largest in history, to beat him with the same weapons, "analyzes.

For now, dominated the smiles on the images that have transcended both in preseason. However, Lorenzo clarifies: "It's good not to have friction and rowing in the same direction, but it will be difficult because we are two very competitive drivers, especially on the track, it's impossible not to have friction. But we are more mature. Especially me. When I arrived in MotoGP was 20, was practically a child. Now we see things differently. Understand more the opponent ".

The personal story of Jorge Lorenzo is a bright and early pilot, standing on a bike since age 3, from 15 professional, world champion for the first time at 19. An upward trajectory marked by ambition, hard work and, sometimes, by insecurity. "I think I made a trip contrary to other stars. I think I've become more humble and quiet. Inwardly I never thought anyone superior. But I did not know before showing it. I think it showed signs of excessive strength that did not correspond to reality. In truth, my attitude did nothing but cover up the insecurity felt as a teenager. And that is harmful and professionally, "he says.

His father, Jose Manuel Lorenzo, he got into vein his passion for motorcycles. "He always taught me discipline. Entrenase much wanted. He had a vision that I could be a champion. He trained many hours. Obviously, when you're a kid you want to play, do other things. But I got fed almost always enjoyed. I was lucky that my father invested everything he earned in me. He was 10 or 12 different bikes. For 10 years, he had a tennis karts minibikes and an aquapark. I spent my childhood in the circuit or pulling down the slides. It was fun. Maybe I have played fewer hours than a normal child, but now these children have normal jobs like streams that I have the good fortune to enjoy, "says Jorge.

"When Simoncelli died, I questioned further on the bikes. But in the end ... racing is what I do best in life "

At age 15 he became the youngest driver to debut in a World Cup, the 125cc. For some courses, Jorge followed him and advised his father, and then his representative, Daniel Amatriain. However, the bad relations between this teen forced to opt for one of the two, opting for Amatriain and ignoring his father. Despite this complicated family situation, the pilot kept his concentration, and at 19 and 20 after the first went double 250cc world champion, before making the leap in 2008 and Yamaha, to the premier class: MotoGP.

Like when he gets on his machine, Lorenzo likes to look ahead. So, when asked about his past, in particular by their representatives (Albert Valera is the third, before the first and had to Amatriain Mark Hirsch, who was his trainer, after), since our attention entourage shouting of "do not touch that". But he neither Achanta. On the most recent relay: "I switched to Albert Marcos because Marcos is 47 years old and formed a family, and perhaps lacked the motivation to work more hours to get more sponsors, something that Albert, at 29, may have more capacity at this time " . Then it gets more serious speech, without mentioning, of Amatriain, thanks to which man recognizes, won two World Cups, made great teams and good sponsorship, but the fight ended and even threatened. He who had been his agent was arrested by the Mossos d'Esquadra accused of threats not only to Lorenzo, but his two other wards: the brothers Pol and Aleix Espargaró. At three, as reported at the time, they demanded financial compensation: "If the relationship deteriorates a little, this greatly affects the time to separate the roads. If unbalanced personal and professional, change of scenery. But I think it's better not to talk about the past. It is also a private matter. Only he knows what happened to him ... ".

1362656630_631285_1362664413_sumario_normal

Since arriving in the most elite of motorcycling, Lorenzo has lived good and bad times. The best were his two world championships: "What I like most is winning, be on top of the podium. But I also enjoy day to day, the path to that success, for example, hours of gym to become stronger. " On the opposite side, the worst drinks were two accidents, separated by just one week in October 2011. The first, the 16th, at Philip Island (Australia), where a bad fall he severed a phalanx of finger ring on his left hand . The other, the 23 in Sepang (Malaysia), where Lorenzo was not present, but he died in an unfortunate accident, the Italian Marco Simoncelli : "I questioned continue to compete, because health is the most important. When Marco died and when I lost part of a finger, hit me very hard. But in the end ... racing is what I do best in life. When I go to the track do not think about the danger, but to go as fast as possible. I concentrate on improving not think something serious happens to me. I'm young and I want to move on. " Pure ambition to continue writing in the history of motorcycling.

0 replies since 11/3/2013, 15:07   1109 views